Welcome to the Carthage College Interlibrary Loan! Here you are able to submit Interlibrary Loan requests, keep track of checked out materials, download copies of articles, and review the history of items you have already received.
The Carthage Interlibrary Loan services do not extend outside of the United States.
For further questions about Interlibrary Loan please refer to this FAQ or contact us.
The best way to contact our staff is at our email address email@example.com. The Library Information Desk may be able to assist you at 252-551-5900 or put in a Request Tracker in our ticketing system at https://help.carthage.edu/rt. The supervisor for Interlibrary Loan is the User Services Supervisor, Kathy Myers who can be contacted at 262-551-5907 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOGIN to ILLiad
1) In order to login you need to be affiliated with Carthage College and have a Novell username and password. This is the email login provided for you when you are become a member of the Carthage community.
2) The username is your email address without the @carthage.edu. (example: jsmith)
3) The password is your Novell password which is used for My.Carthage.
If you need to change your password go to https://password.carthage.edu/ or contact Hedberg Library staff at 262-551-5900 during library hours. You may also create a Request Tracker ticket for assistance. (make words link to RT)
After logging in you will see a page to fill out your contact information regarding how to notify you when your items arrive.
There are three areas on this form that assist the Interlibrary Loan staff to process your request efficiently.
1) Preferred Article Delivery Method: Articles will be delivered to your ILLiad account as a PDF. Students will pick up all other materials at the circulation desk in the library. Faculty and staff will have materials delivered to their Carthage mailbox. We do not mail Interlibrary Loan materials.
2) Status: Choose student, faculty, or staff.
3) Department: Choose departmental affiliation. (example: heritage, history, psychology)
FAQ for Interlibrary Loan
What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
Interlibrary Loan is available to request materials that are not owned by Hedberg Library from other libraries. There is no charge for loans to Carthage students, faculty, and staff. The average time needed for Interlibrary Loan transaction is 7-14 days. To avoid delays, always check the Carthage Catalog before submitting requests.
Who can use Interlibrary Loan?
Carthage undergraduate and graduate student
Carthage faculty and staff- current and retired
Loyola Masters in Social Work students and faculty
What is ILLiad?
ILLiad is an online system that allows Hedberg Library to provide access to materials held by other libraries throughout the country. Through ILLiad, we provide borrowing and document delivery services and lending services to other libraries.
You can get information about the status of your requests (current and previous) online via ILLiad at any time from any location.
Your personal information, which you provide during initial registration, is stored within the system. If any of your information changes, you can easily update it simply by logging into ILLiad.
You can get many of your requests quickly through Electronic Delivery. Our turnaround time for article requests, from the time the request is made until the time you are notified, is typically 2-5 business days. Book requests can take 5-14 days.
How to request Interlibrary Material?
1) Search the library catalog for desired item
2) If it is unavailable at the Carthage College Library you will see this option:
3) Click on the button “Request Item through Interlibrary Loan” and it will take you the Interlibrary Loan login page.
4) DO NOT just submit the request without looking over the information. Make sure the author is listed and if you are requesting an article please copy the ISSN number (which is listed at the bottom of the page in the Carthage Catalog) into the form.
Requesting an item manually:
1) Log into your ILLiad account at carthage.illiad.oclc.org/illiad.
2) Click on what type of request you would like to make. ‘Book’ or ‘Article’(CDs & DVDs go under the ‘Book’ form)
3) Fill out the information that you know about the requested item. If possible please refer to the catalog for more information to include. Having the ISBN or ISSN and the OCLC number make processing smoother.
Where do I pick up my items and when do I know they've arrived?
You will be notified when an item has arrived by the email address that you provided in your ILLiad profile.
Please pick up your materials as soon as possible, so that you will have adequate time to use them.
Students items are available for pick up at the circulation desk in the Hedberg Library. Faculty and staff items will be delivered to their Carthage mailbox.
How do I retrieve electronic articles from my ILLiad account?
You will receive an email notification when articles arrive. Logon toILLiad and select "Electronically Received Articles" to view, download, or print a PDF copy of your article.
Why are there papers in my book/DVD/CD case?
This paperwork serves multiple purposes:
1) Carthage ILL staff process the item using the identification number on the paperwork
2) The lending library tracks the item using the identification number on the paperwork
3) Contact information for the library loaning the item to Carthage
What is my due date and why are the due dates different on the two books I just received?
Lending periods are determined by the lending library, not Carthage College. They usually range from 2 weeks up to 8 weeks. You can use ILLiad to review when your items are due by going to “Checked Out Items” and this will give you the due date for each item that you have checked out to you.
My requested item came in as Library Use Only. What does that mean?
Library Use Only means that the book may be used only at the library and may not be taken home with the patron. Most textbooks and other rare or fragile books are usually lent as Library Use Only.
How do I renew Interlibrary loan material?
1) Login to http://carthage.illiad.oclc.org/illiad
2) Go to ‘Checked Out Items’
3) Click on the transaction number of the item you want to renew
4) Click on ‘Renew Request’ above the checked out item list. This option is only available before the due date.
If you want to renew a book after the due date please email email@example.com and our staff will assist you with renewing or reordering the material.
How do I return an interlibrary loan book?
Return it to the circulation desk at the library or mail it to the library.
Hedberg Library Interlibrary Loan
2001 Alford Park Drive
Kenosha, WI 53140
Why does my account say an item is checked out to me? I haven’t picked it up yet.
Once an item leaves our office, it is checked out to the patron who requested it. We will hold the items at the circulation desk for students and deliver items to the faculty or staff mail room. It is up to the requestor to pick up the items as soon as possible to maximize check out period.
My item was recalled. What does that mean?
The lending library has requested that the material be returned. A recall from the lending library negates any amount of time left on your loan and the item should be returned as soon as possible. Once the item is returned, we can then try to request a second copy for you from a different lending library.
What about copyright?
WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research". If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a request order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Who do I contact with questions or concerns?The best way to contact our staff is at our email address firstname.lastname@example.org. The Library Information Desk may be able to assist you at 252-551-5900 or put in a Request Tracker in our ticketing system at https://help.carthage.edu/rt. The supervisor for Interlibrary Loan is the User Services Supervisor, Kathy Myers who can be contacted at 262-551-5907 or email@example.com.